Before surgery, please check the following:
1. Confirm with the health fund to ensure that you are covered for the surgery, for instance:
*Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: 31575
*Laparoscopic gastric bypass: 31572
*Laparoscopic removal gastric band: 31584
*Laparoscopic revision bariatric surgery: 31584, 30393
2. Fill in the online admission forms for the relevant hospital.
*Gold Coast Private Hospital (https://healthscope.eadmissions.com.au/logon.aspx)
*John Flynn Private Hospital (www.johnflynnprivate.com.au)
3. Please make sure you have an up to date referral letter. The GP referral letter only last for 12 months.
4. Please make sure you ask for a GP referral to the allied health services if necessary. This may be part of your health care plan to see other members of the bariatric surgery team, which may include:
*Psychologist (if necessary)
5. Please make sure you have a plan in place for the pre-op preparation (in the 2 or 3 weeks before surgery):
Purchase the appropriate VLCD meals from a chemist or a health food store:
*Have the meals 3 times a day (as a meal replacement)
*You may also have 2 serves of non starchy vegetables (no potato, corn or peas)
*You may have a slice of fruit or two a day
*Have any non calorie drinks (no sugar drinks or alcohol)
*Have more than 2 litres water a day to prevent dehydration
Advice from your GP or specialists:
*The doses of diabetic medications may have to be reduced to prevent hypoglycemia during the pre-op VLCD phase.
*The doses of anti-hypertensive medications may have to be reduced to prevent hypotension during the pre-op VLCD phase.
Allied health care:
Pre and post-operative consults with a dietician is encouraged.
Post-operative consults with an exercise physiologist is recommended.
Please ask your GP to refer you to both the dietician and exercise physiologist in your local area.
*This may be part of your health care plan and you may be entitled to this.